Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Top 100 Songs 2000 - 2015

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium 2000-2015



We are now in the sixteenth year of the millennium. There have been many great new bands and singers to emerge over the past few years such as Coldplay, Norah Jones, Sharon Jones, Adele, Cousteau, Mando Diao, The Editors, White Lies, Maximo Parks, Minus The Bear and others. As well as the new discoveries several longtime super-greats have continued to record and release some great music over these past years including David Gilmour, Tom Petty, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (The Mars Volta), Jack White (White Stripes), Bjork, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Elton John, Dolly Parton, Brian Eno, Justin Hayward, Donna Summer and so many more I can’t name them all.

This list displays what I feel are the 100 best songs from the years 2000 – 2015. It spans a multitude of genres and artists. My main musical interests lie with in Modern rock, Alternative rock and jazz (of all types) therefore the majority on my list will fall with in these categories. Oddly, though as much as I love jazz very few jazz songs ended up on this list as most of the jazz albums I enjoy I enjoy as a whole and not as individual songs.

Now I am happy to present to you my Top 100 songs of the last sixteen years. At the end of this list the Top Ten songs will each be reviewed individually as to give more insight to these very special songs.

Enjoy!

100. Far Cry – Rush (2007)
99. Clocks – Coldplay (2002)
98. Pretty Boy – Young Galaxy (2013)
97. Who Killed Tangerine? – Tears For Fears (2004)
96. Electric Rainbow – Minus The Bear (2014)
95. Rumour Has It – Adele (2011)
94. A Tu Lado – Julieta Venegas (2003)
93. We Are All Made Of Stars – Moby (2002)
92. A Man Wakes Up – Brian Eno/Karl Hyde (2014)
91. The Western Sky – Justin Hayward (2013)
90. Sidekick – Walk The Moon (2014)
89. On An Island – David Gilmour (2006)
88. Your Day Will Come – Cousteau (2001)
87. Stop – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (2003)
86. That’s The Way It Is – Donna Summer (2004)
85. Something In The Air – David Bowie (2000)
84. The Grass Is Blue – Dolly Parton (2000)
83. Earth Intruders – Bjork (2007)
82. Ice On The Motorway – Roger Daltrey/Wilko Johnson (2014)
81. The Blackest Lily – Corinne Bailey Rae (2010)
80. Speed Of Sound – Coldplay (2005)
79. If You Call – Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (2010)
78. White Shadows – Coldplay (2005)
77. Don’t Panic – Coldplay (2000)
76. Lonestar – Norah Jones (2002)
75. In This Light – The Editors (2009)
74. Rattle That Lock – David Gilmour (2015)
73. Bottomliners – Brian Eno (2005)
72. In Flight Wave – Beat Spacek (2015)
71. I’m Shakin’ – Jack White (2012)
70. Bells At The Slipstream – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2000)
69. Kentucky – Billie Jo Armstrong + Norah Jones (2013)
68. The Party – Ceremony (2015)
67. Lost Weekend – Tiny Victories (2012)
66. I Want Love – Elton John (2001)
65. December – Norah Jones (2009)
64. Heavy Weather – Cousteau (2002)
63. Long Black Train – Liam McKahey (2014)
62. Wall Street – Battles (2011)
61. Televators – The Mars Volta (2003)
60. Since We’ve Been Gone – The Mars Volta (2009)
59. A Whisper – Coldplay (2002)
58. Meet My Friends – Gold Fields (2013)
57. Swimming In Lava – (((s))) (2012)
56. Porushka Paranya – Bering Strait (2003)
55. Our Velocity – Maximo Park (2007)
54. Stamp Your Feet – Donna Summer (2008)
53. Here – Jackson Browne (2014)
52. A Device Imagined To Turn – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2009)
51. Black – Dangermouse (featuring Norah Jones) (2011)
50. Dream On – Depeche Mode (2001)
49. It’s Not Over Yet – Klaxons (2007)
48. I Love Music – Donna Summer (2008)
47. Romeo – Mando Diao (2014)
46. Stars – t.A.T.u (2008)
45. To Paris With Love – Donna Summer (2011)
44. For The Good Times – The Little Willies (featuring Norah Jones)(2012)
43. American Dream – Tommy Petty (2014)
42. Catch The Sun – The Doves (2000)
41. The Whole Enchilada – Keb ‘Mo (2011)
40. Creepin’ In – Norah Jones and Dolly Parton (2004)
39. Firelight – The Thievery Corporation (2014)
38. Lovely Rain – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2013)
37. Oz Is Ever Floating – Oysterhead (2001)
36. Cold Cold Heart – Norah Jones (2002)
35. Flaws – Bastille (2013)
34. Lovers and Fools – Liam McKahey (2009)
33. Louder Than Words – Pink Floyd (2014)
32. Conflagration – Massivivid (2002)
31. All Sparks – Editors (2006)
30. Into The Galaxy – Midnight Juggernauts (2008)
29. Where Are You Going? – Dave Matthews Band (2002)
28. Extreme Ways – Moby (2002)
27. Salt Lines – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2013)
26. Outer Space – War (2014)
25. Saving Grace – Tom Petty (2006)
24. The Right Effect – Stereo MC’s (2001)
23. Schism – Tool (2001)
22. Bottles – VV Brown (2010)
21. Boomerang – Massivivid (2002)
20. Put Your Records On – Corinne Bailey Rae (2006)
19. Airstream Driver – Gomez (2009)
18. Eyes Wide Open – King Crimson (2002)
17. It’s Only Love – Donna Summer (2009)
16. Smile – David Gilmour (2006)
15. Sailor – Twin Danger (2015)
14. Ampersand – Adrian Belew (2005)
13. Last Good Day Of The Year – Cousteau (2001)
12. The Things We Lost In The Fire – Bastille (2013)
11. Rapid Fire Tollbooth – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2007)

The Top Ten:

10. My Superman – Santigold (2008)
Featured on the album Santogold
Written by Santi White, J. Hill, W. Penz and Siouxsie and the Banshees

This song lists Siouxsie and the Banshees as one it’s co-writers. Santigold (real name Santi White) has commented she based the music of this song on the Siouxsie and the banshees’ 1980 song “Red Light.” This song has a great 80’s new wave sound with heavy bass and beat backing. Santigold gives us her best vocals in this dark goth influenced song. 


My Superman by Santogold (aka Santigold)



9. Into The Frying Pan – King Crimson (2000)
Featured on the album The ConstruKCtion of Light
Written by Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn and Paul Mastelotto

Fractured perfection is how I best describe this song. This is one of those songs that keeps my ears perked up. With it’s dark harmonies, understated vocals and soaring guitar chords the song threatens to fall into chaos yet in the end delivers a melodic resonance that makes it irresistible to my ears. It is more than a song but an experience in adventure and experimentalism in a slice of seven minutes. Other bands become mellower and more commercial as they age but it seems that King Crimson has taken a different route with louder guitars and a deeper dive into experimentalism than ever before. What I love most about this song is the odd time shifts throughout the entire song and Adrian Belew’s always-recognizable guitar solo. Probably the most intriguing feature of the song is the opening where Robert Fripp (or maybe it’s Adrian Belew) goes up the guitar scale and the other goes down the scale simultaneously… what a musically mesmerizing effect.

The lyrics of the song examine the condition of life how we grow and experience life but in the end we’re right back where we began.



Into The Frying Pan by King Crimson



8. Rockin’ Alone In An Old Rockin’ Chair – Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones (2013)
Featured on the album Foreverly
Written by Bob Miller

Norah Jones and Green Day front man teamed together to record the 2013 album “Foreverly” which was a remake of the Everly Brothers’ 1958 album “Songs Our Dady Taught Us.” Billie Joe and Norah recorded the album true to the genre with great acoustic guitars and wonderful harmonic vocals.

The album is full of gem after gem. Every song is great though “Rockin’ Alone In An Old Rockin’ Chair” stands out amongst the bunch primarily due to it’s emotionally charged lyrics. The song is about an old silver haired mother that is neglected sitting alone in an old rocking chair. Every time I hear this song it touches my heart and brings a mist to my eyes.


 Rockin' Alone In An Old Rockin' Chair by Billie Joe Armstrong + Norah Jones



7. Moves – Gold Fields (2013)
Featured on the album: Black Sun
Written by: Vinci Andanar, Rob Clifton, Ryan D'Sylva, Mark Fuller, Luke Peldys

This song starts out with an infectious percussive rhythm and electronic bass line. Every time I hear this song I become energized. It’s simply a great synth-rock tune with a dance beat that never ends. I primarily enjoy the lyrics that talk about a person named Ashley who breaks her arm… and then about a person named Ashley who broke his arm. It’s sort of confusing to figure out what they meant in this lyric by changing the sex of Ashley as they mention this person.
Moves by Gold Fields



6. Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo – Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (2009)
Featured on the album Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo
Written by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

It’s the mysterious sounds that attract me to this song. The dark sci-fi synth work combined with Omar’s thick, crunchy, distorted guitar work which is accented with heavy treble that brings the song into a fourth dimension of sound. It’s hard to give a description that gives this song its proper justice. This is one of those must listen to songs. It’s a work in guitar and electronic soundscape experimentalism.

Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez




5. Haifisch – Rammstein (2009)
Featured on the album: Liebe Ist Alle Da
Written by Rammstein

Rammstein is an industrial metal band from Germany. Their sound is hard hitting and guttural. The word haifisch translated to English means shark. The song takes a different look at the shark of which many people are afraid. On their website Rammstein says about the song “Haifisch,” "the shark not only has teeth – he's got tears as well. But since it lives in the briny deep, no one sees them. A shame. After all, this cartilaginous fish is one of the oldest of the world's many misunderstood creatures. A bit more sympathy couldn't hurt!"

I have always had this curious interest in this dark and foreboding song.



         
Liebe Ist Alle Da (Click here to see album on Amazon)

Haifisch by Rammstein



4. The Satellites – Brian Eno and Karl Hyde (2014)
Featured on the album: Someday World
Written by Brian Eno and Karl Hyde

When I heard that Brian Eno was releasing a new album (that featured his vocals) I was so ecstatic. I am such a huge fan of his music… predominantly his 70’s solo albums and his early 70’s work with Roxy Music. Brian Eno is one of the most exciting producers, arrangers and musicians ever in the history of music. Everything he does has several layers of depth and experimentalism.

This collaboration with Karl Hyde is no exception the entire album “Someday World” is great from beginning to end. Though I love every track it is “The Satellites” that first caught my interest and remains my favorite song from the album with it’s electronic beats and slick guitar grooves.

The Satellites by Brian Eno and Karl Hyde



3. Transmission – Complot Bronswick (2010)
Non-album track
Written by Joy Division

I have long been a fan of Joy Division and was thrilled several years back when I discovered Moby’s intensely excellent cover of “New Dawn Fades,” after that I searched for other covers of Joy Division songs but really did not find anything that interested me. This was back in 1998 and Complot Bronwick had yet to record “Transmission. At that I still hadn’t even discovered Complot. I came to discover Complot Bronswick back in 2007 as I was doing an internet search to discover new wave related bands from the 80’s. Of course I knew all the known bands such as U2, Tears For Fears, The Fixx, etc. I was looking for some lesser-known bands. I did several searches over a span of 2 years and I found Complot Bronwick on youtube.  I downloaded a few of their songs and forgot about them for a few years. In 2010 I began listening to one of their songs from 1985 called “Born In A Cage” and that spurred my interest in them again. I came across a tribute album to Joy Division recorded by French recording artists called  “30 Years With(out) Ian Curtis, which contained their recording of “Transmission” and I was blown away from what I heard. I played this song maybe three or four times in a row and soaked in all the nuance and sounds. I fell in love with the electronic (there’s that word again… you see a pattern here) sounds and the dark vocals. To this day I still play this song from time to time.

Transmission by Complot Bronswick




2. Big TV – White Lies (2013)
Featured on the album Big TV
Written by Charles Cave, Jack Lawrence-Brown and Harry McVeigh

I came across this group in 2014… several months after the release of the album “Big TV.” I found them on Amazon. com and I very much enjoyed the snippets I heard. I ended up buying the album and of course loved it as much as I knew I would. The title track “Big TV” is the song that captured my attention most. Such a great post punk tune with a synth undertone. The song has a drive that moves so fantastically well. This is one of those songs that is equally at home in a dance club or on a sunny day at the beach. I hear elements of David Bowie meets U@ with a huge 80’s influence in this song and all the songs on the album. I am completely stuck on this song and will be for years and decades to come.


Big TV by White Lies




1. The Blue – David Gilmour (2006)
Featured on the album: On An Island
Written by David Gilmour and Polly Samson

This is the song that has touched me the most in these past 15+ years. It’s everything from David Gilmour’s vocals to his guitar work to the lyrics and the ever so smooth music. This is one of the most beautiful and dreamy songs that sends me to heaven every time I hear it. The recently deceased Richard Wright lends his backing vocals to this song which gives the song a bit of a Pink Floyd touch. The song is ethereally textured and full of space-age sonics that bring a sort of an ambient feel of restoration, revival and refreshment.




The Blue by David Gilmour




LOVE MUSIC!!!

1 comment:

  1. Randall, I really enjoyed reading your blog on what you consider the Top 100 Songs from 2000 – 2015. I especially liked your summaries on your Top Ten songs. I totally agree with your choice for #1, David Gilmour’s “The Blue” from On An Island. It puts me into such a wonderful state of mind whenever I hear it. So calming and transports me to a peaceful place. David’s vocals and his guitar playing on this song are impeccable. I owe you the credit for introducing me to “Big TV” by White Lies. Harry McVeigh’s vocals on the title song are so smooth. I never tire of hearing this song. Another favorite of mine is Brian Eno and Karl Hyde. Their collaboration is superb on “The Satellites.” I wasn’t familiar with Rammstein and would have to say that their style of music is too dark for me. Omar Rodriguez Lopez is so unique! He really understands and communicates so well in his music – he is a genius! Thank you for highlighting “Rockin’ Alone in an old Rockin’ Chair” on the Foreverly album by Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones. That one is a keeper. The lyrics also got to me. The lyrics to “Moves” by Gold Fields were simple yet told a story. Three people were in an accident over a weekend, including a female and a male both named Ashley who both suffered broken arms and the third person ended up in the ambulance with injuries to his face. Anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...